According to reports, Barcelona is attempting to permanently offload Antoine Griezmann to Atletico Madrid after his £107 million transfer to the Camp Nou in 2019.
According to reports, Barcelona is getting ready to file a lawsuit against Atletico Madrid, a rival in La Liga, regarding Antoine Griezmann’s future.
In August 2021, Griezmann, 31, returned to Atletico on loan from Barcelona.
According to a stipulation in the contract, the France international is expected to return to Atletico permanently at the end of the current season, but only if he logs a specific amount of playing time.
This season, Griezmann has only appeared after the 60th minute.
Diego Simeone, the Atletico manager, is reportedly starting Griezmann from the bench to avoid invoking the player’s €40 million (£35 million) transfer clause. However, Barcelona’s account of the events is distinct.
Barcelona believes Griezmann has already met his transfer clause because he participated in more than half of the games last season, according to the Spanish newspaper SPORT.
During the 2021/22 season, the forward appeared in about 80% of Atletico’s games.
Griezmann’s minutes played this year are allegedly unimportant in Barcelona’s view because the loan is just for one season, not two.
According to reports, Barcelona is getting ready to file a lawsuit soon to make Atletico pay up.
Meanwhile, Atletico believes that a permanent agreement will only be required if Griezmann plays more than 30 minutes of football in 50% of the games this season.
Griezmann signed a five-year contract with Barcelona in July 2019 after leaving Atletico for £107 million.
The expensive purchase did not go as expected because during his first two seasons at the Camp Nou, the World Cup champion only managed 22 La Liga goals while also winning the Copa del Rey.
After the COVID pandemic stopped professional football in Spain and elsewhere in March 2020, Barcelona found itself in deep financial problems.
Since then, they have parted ways with a number of players in order to save money, including Philippe Coutinho, Lionel Messi, and Luis Suarez.
Barcelona is eager to recoup part of the £107 million they spent on Griezmann, but Atletico no longer has as much interest in the player following the previous campaign.
The forward struggled throughout the 2021/22 season, scoring just eight goals in 36 appearances.
Griezmann has scored three goals so far this season, but it’s said that Atletico don’t want to pay a high price for a player in his thirties.
During his first five years in the Spanish capital, he was outstanding, tallying 133 goals in 257 appearances.
On Friday afternoon, Barcelona manager Xavi emphasized that Griezmann was no longer a member of the team.
He said, according to Mundo Deportivo: “Griezmann? It’s a club matter; it has nothing to do with me. There is no question in our minds; he belongs to Atletico.”
Simeone, though, earlier this month stated (according to talkSPORT): “I’ve been a member of the club for ten years, and I always will be.
They need to be convinced that playing 30 quality minutes is more significant than playing 60 subpar ones.”