Robert Lewandowski, who is eager to leave Bayern Munich despite the Bundesliga champions’ insistence that he stay, has been identified as Barcelona’s top target for the upcoming summer transfer window.
Barcelona has made a bid of €40 million (£34.4 million) for Robert Lewandowski. Even though the striker only has one year left on his contract, Bayern Munich insists he is not for sale.
If Bayern were to decide to transfer Lewandowski, they have not informed his agents how much they would take for the Polish international.
After Barcelona made their first official offer for the striker, Bayern Munich’s officials are still vehemently denying that Robert Lewandowski is for sale.
The Polish international, whose contract has reached its last year, has made no secret of his desire to depart the Allianz Arena.
Barcelona is where he prefers to play, and the La Liga powerhouse is looking to bolster its roster this summer.
Lewandowski has been with Bayern for eight years, and throughout that time, he has won the Bundesliga championship each season.
During his time with the German giants, he smashed a number of records, including the record for the most goals in a single campaign.
But the 33-year-old stated that he was ready for a new challenge at the conclusion of the most recent season.
Bayern’s management disagrees with it, as evidenced by Uli Hoeness, former Bayern president, who recently said: “Barcelona wanted to sign Lewandowski when they had a debt of £1 billion six months ago.
“They would have been insolvent for a very long time in Germany. They are making million-euro proposals for a Bayern player as the bankruptcy judge knocks on the door.”
In a deal that looks to have been made to replace Lewandowski, Bayern confirmed the acquisition of Sadio Mane from Liverpool on Wednesday. But Hasan Salihamidzic, the director of football, doesn’t think that’s the case.
“Our stance is unambiguous: Robert’s contract is valid through the summer of 2023. In order to make our team more competitive, we signed Sadio.
The competition for slots on our team needs to be strengthened. Every attacking player’s situation will change with the addition of Mane.”
“When we signed Sadio, we never considered the possibility of having to release a player,” he continued.
However, that stance will be put to the test because, according to ESPN, Barcelona has made their first offer for Lewandowski.
Although Barca’s offer is reportedly not that large, Bayern reportedly wants more than £34 million for the striker.
The failed European Super League initiative, which Barca played a significant role in launching but Bayern kept out of, has caused relations between the two clubs to “sour.”
Oliver Kahn, the chief executive, is rumored to have told Barcelona just how little the Bayern management thought of them.
Given their financial limitations and the fact that La Liga now prevents them from signing any new players, Bayern has also questioned the Catalan team’s capacity to complete a transaction of this magnitude.
Joan Laporta, the club president, is optimistic that he can get the money required to bolster Xavi’s team. Lewandowski will remain in Germany, though, according to Bayern, despite this.
Oliver Khan, the club’s chief executive, agreed with Salihamidzic when he said he thought the striker would finish out his contract.
“Robert doesn’t think anything has changed, either. We are anticipating his arrival with us on the first day of training. He has a contract that runs through 2023.
Robert is weighing Barça’s and other potential choices. But it is crucial to keep in mind that he is under contract with Bayern, which is very important. As a result, we are not concerned.” He added this week.
If this first offer is truly well below Bayern’s asking price, there seems to be little prospect of it being accepted.
However, despite their hierarchy’s adamant attitude, Lewandowski’s apparent desire to leave could ultimately push them into a sale.