Roberto De Zerbi has been hired by Brighton as their new head coach on a four-year contract.
Roberto De Zerbi, who previously managed Sassuolo in Italy, has been unemployed since leaving Shakhtar Donetsk in July.
De Zerbi steps in for Graham Potter, who left the team earlier this month to join Chelsea.
He received high praise for his performance while coaching Sassuolo to two eighth-place finishes in Serie A, and he also helped Shakhtar win the Ukrainian Super Cup the previous season.
The 43-year-old Italian, who had initially visited Tony Bloom, Paul Barber, and David Weir in London earlier this week, and the Premier League team agreed on final contractual terms late on Sunday afternoon, according to a statement released by the club on Sunday.
According to the statement, he arrived in Sussex for the first time on Friday evening and attended a friendly game on Saturday afternoon at the Amex.
De Zerbi replaces Graham Potter, who recently moved to Chelsea to replace the fired Thomas Tuchel.
Subject to work permits, Brighton claimed it had agreed to contracts with De Zerbi’s coaching staff.
With the hope that they would be in place for Albion’s encounter against Liverpool at Anfield the following Saturday.
As a gesture of respect to HM Queen Elizabeth II, the club has also postponed Roberto’s official media introduction until Tuesday afternoon.
Tony Bloom, the chairman, said: “I’m overjoyed that Roberto has decided to lead us as our next head coach.
I believe Roberto’s teams will play a dynamic and daring brand of football that will complement our current squad perfectly.”
“Roberto has demonstrated his undeniable ability with his work in Italy and Ukraine, and what he achieved at Sassuolo clearly stands out,” technical director David Weir stated.
Before the war abruptly ended his brief stint at Shakhtar, he continued to have success there, leading the team to cup victories and the top spot in the Ukrainian league.
“We are excited to welcome Roberto and look forward to introducing him to our team.
He will be provided with all the support he needs to share his coaching philosophies with the team and assist the players build on their outstanding start to the season.
We looked at a range of fantastic possibilities, but Roberto was our number one pick from the outset and the only person we spoke to,” said Paul Barber, deputy chairman and chief executive.
“It goes without saying that, as part of our succession planning efforts, our chairman is continuously keeping an eye on possible coaches in our home leagues as well as those in Europe and other parts of the world.
Roberto, in our opinion, is the perfect cultural and technical match for Brighton & Hove Albion.
The right person to carry on the club’s advancement, and the best person to work with this exceptional collection of players.”
The Premier League players are currently on a break for international competition, giving the Italian two weeks to settle into Brighton and organize his backroom staff.
Additionally, he will be able to interact and collaborate with the athletes who are not representing their own nations.
After that, he begins a demanding month of testing activities in October, beginning his rule with a trip to Liverpool on Saturday, October 1.